Thursday, May 6, 2010

Working it out...

I decided to put this out there partly to hold myself accountable. Im doing so well and I want to keep it up. Maybe if I blog about my progress thus far it will make me stick with it.

About two months ago I saw my doctor and we talked about my PCOS. Its been really hard to manage my weight because of the insulin resistance that often comes with it. Im pretty good at maintaining, but whenever I have had a major event in my life (like the freshman 15, and 2 babies) I add some pounds and cant seem to get them off. Last fall I went on a crazy diet and was working out consistently and didnt lose much at all over a three month period. It has been so frustrating for me, especially knowing that if i could lose weight it might be easier for us to get pregnant when the time comes.

After talking about it for a while he said he wanted to run some tests and then in a month see me again and put me on some medication that would help. I have been on the meds for a month and I have been training for a 5K and I AM DOING IT! I cant even believe it. Over the years I am so used to working hard and seeing little to no results that I am shocked.

I feel like for the first time in my life i have power over my body. I am telling it what to do and it is actually listening. For so long i have felt pretty powerless as to how my body worked (all the infertility struggles) that it feels great. At first the running was HORRIBLE and i thought there was no way I was going to be able to keep it up. But it is getting easier. I finally figured out how to breathe which helped a lot... hahaha! It still sucks and I have NO love affair with running. But in combination with the medication it is working so i am going to keep at it.

When I was pregnant with K I gained a LOT of weight and this morning I got on the scale and saw a number I hadnt seen since I was pregnant with him! Which is sad. I have 5 more lbs until I hit pre-pregnancy with K and then I want to lose at least 15 more before we try to have another baby.

I am proud of myself!

6 comments:

Mary and Steve said...

Way to go!

Adam Winter Family said...

wow. that's awesome. what medication did you get put on? i pretty much have the same problem with the insulin resistance and pcos.

Brad, Jenni, and Tylita said...

Awesome Job!!! What 5K are you doing? I want to come along!!!

Jennifer said...

Wow, thanks for the inspiring post, Lauren! I gained a bunch of weight with my #2 and as hard as it has been to lose it (well, most of it), it feels great to be in control and know that I can conquer my body. Keep up the good work!

cutiedaisie said...

Yay!!! I've been trying to eat well during this pregnancy but the pounds just keep piling on. Thanks for the encouragment. I'll have a healthy baby and run off all the pounds when he's here. Love ya!

Jeff and Jen said...

You are my inspiration! Way to go!