Thursday, July 1, 2010

Chronic Cryptic Tonsils.

I have had a sore throat for the last week or so. I get sore throats often so i usually take som ibuprofen and get over it. But I finally decided to go in. Resigned ot getting another dose of antibiotics. I saw a different doctor this time and after a look at my tonsils said they need to come out. Bittersweet for me. Bitter because i hear that having them out as an adult is HORRIBLE. But sweet because I have known this was coming for a long time and have just been waiting for doctor confirmation.

I have "Chronic Cryptic Tonsils." When you get tonsilits a lot you can develop them. They are nasty looking buggers. You can google it and find a lot of nasty pictures (I thought I would spare you that) but essentially this is the definition

"The tonsils contain many small pockets and infoldings called crypts, which can trap small food particles and other debris. This can produce small, white stone-like particles called tonsilliths, composed of bacteria and dead cells, which are foul-smelling, can prolong the infection, and may cause a mild, intermittent sore throat. "

So I have had this lovely condition for a while. At least since second year of college... And I have more and more sore throats. Some people have this and dont have to have their tonsils out but mine are getting more and more enlarged and swollen. The doc said it is aggravated by my allergies and that is my current problem. So he has me on flonase to bring down the swelling of my nasal passages and adenoids which should reduce the pressure on my enlarged tonsils... Hoepfully it works becuase i cant hardly swallow right now. UGH... But anyway. Hopefully sometime in the near future we will get this done. I am hoping to hold off till next year. But we will see. Fall may prove too much to handle.

Fun Huh?

1 comment:

Lineberry's said...

I had the same thing. I got my tonsils removed about 9 years ago and haven't had a sore throat since. I use to wake up every morning with a sore throat and would cough up chunks...get your tonsils out!!