Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Is this week over yet?


This is how I feel today... I am flying solo this week and even though its only Tuesday I am feeling it.
We had dentist appointments for the kids today and it was disastrous! It began hopefylly...
K whined a little about being afraid of cavities but I thought I had assuaged his fears. That is... until we got back into the office. Then he commenced SCREAMING and CRYING about how he is afraid he will have sugar buggies and they will hurt him. I am desperately trying every tactic I know to calm him down and convince him that everything will be ok.

Meanwhile... I figure that A is in such good spirits that she should do fine first... WRONG... once they come at her with the X-Ray film she freaks out. Apparently the hygienist is new and keeps trying to get the film in As mouth for like 10 minutes as she is writhing and crying... Flash over to K who is still having a melt down in the other chair... Then another hygienist comes over and informs ours that A is so little they dont usually do X-Rays on them... nice...

So A is set free... She stops crying but is doing that thing where they are still teary and trying to catch their breath... So I decide to hold her for a minute. This is when I realize she is poppy and it has leaked out all over her pants and onto ME! Nice... So we make a run to the bathroom to rinse everyone out. I have no extra diaper since I have used my extra already so I leave her commando and pray she can hold it for a while. PS... I still have poop on my shirt...

Ks turn in the chair... I sit behind him and have to practically DRAG him into the chair. He is still FREAKING out. I am completely embarrassed and losing my patience FAST. We finally pry his mouth open and somehow get the X-Rays done. Now both my children giving those shuddering post sobbing breaths. I look like the worst mom ever.

They end up putting us in the "procedure room". I assume this is because we are taking too long and freaking all the other kids out. Finally the dentist comes in. He tells K he has no cavities... which makes him happy. All tears cease and you would think going to the dentist is an every day occasion. He is chatting up the dentist and having a grand time showing him all his teeth...

Then A is up again... FREAKING out... AGAIN... but we get the nitty gritty over with. The kids get a ball and we are out of there as fast as I can get us out. The rest of my day has gone pretty similar... I hope I can survive until Friday...

4 comments:

Melanie said...

Oh my goodness. How awful! Sorry about your day.

Jeff and Jen said...

I've had this exact same experience with Kamryn. We had to put her under to get her space retainers in. I'm sure the dentist/assistants are used to kids being scared...no worries. You are a fantastic Mommy for even getting them to the dentist in the first place. Next time, I'll tag along and help!

Kelley said...

i'm sorry lauren. if i were closer i would be more than willing to take a kid for the day.

Mame Voelker said...

That sounds miserable! I hope the rest of your day and week goes better!