Monday, August 23, 2010

Sad News

After spending a great week in California with my family I came home and was able to relax for a day. Then we received the sad news that Daddys grandfather had passed away quietly in his sleep. We lived with Grandpa for about 6 months while our home was being built. So we had some time to grow close to him. While he had his quirks, he was a great man and will be missed by those left behind.

When we told K he broke down and has had a bit of a hard time with it. He loved his grandpa "honkfrees" and misses him. I have to tell you a funny story about this. While it starts our heartrendingly sad, just hang in there... it gets funny.

We were driving to grandpas house one of the days when everyone was there... here is how the conversation went.

K: "Mom, I wish I died too so I could be with grandpa. I miss him."
Me: "Sweetie, I know you miss grandpa but he is happier now and you are too young to die and go to heaven."
K: "why is he happier in heaven and not here?"
Me: "Because he gets to be with Grandma Adele. He missed her a lot. And his body wasn't working very well and that made him sad"
K: "Why wasn't his body working very well?"
Me: "his heart and his muscles were getting old"
K: "what was wrong with them?"
I'm getting frustrated with questions at this point
Me: "Its complicated sweetie"

K
 gets really mad at this point and starts yelling


K: "No it isn't! You just lie all the time and say that because I ask so many questions!"

Now I'm laughing and thinking he must have heard this from one of his aunts
who are always telling him things I dont want him to know.


Me: "who told you that?"
K: "No one! I just started to figure it out lately!"

HAHAHA! He is such a smart kid! So I explained about heart attacks and atrophying muscles. And then he said OK... and has seemed to be fine since then. He was just a little sad at the burial when he had to say goodbye... Here's a picture of that... :*( Poor little guy.


Im so grateful for our little girl. She is always bringing a smile to everyone's faces even in sad times!

This is a picture of Grandpas 9 children. The youngest is only 9 months older than James!

There were 57 of his children, grandchildren and Great Grandchildren there. Everyone was able to make it and we had such a great time together. I know Grandpa was looking down and smiling.