Thursday, May 26, 2011

A little boy and his savings

A couple of months ago K began begging for a pair of Heelys. If you have no idea what these are, dont feel bad. They are shoes that have wheels in the heels. Once you figure them out you can either walk or skate on them. They are actually pretty neat. But they are a little pricy. I figured we could get a pair for around 30 if we shopped the sales. But that is still WAY more than I pay for shoes for my kids.

We have been trying to teach K about money. He gets an allowance and has to do his chores every day in order to get all of the allowance. Usually he spends it all pretty much as soon as he gets it though. In order to teach him about saving money we decided to strike a deal. If he would earn half the money we would pay the rest.

He was not excited about this but agreed. The kid has been amazing. He would do ANYTHING for a quarter extra! Hahaha! He would still be a couple of weeks away from his goal though if not for working at grandmas house last weekend. He got $4 for that, so he finally will have enough money for his shoes on Saturday!

We are so proud of him! He has been so diligent at saving his money and paying his tithing. At first it was really hard for him to give up some of his money in order to pay tithing. We had a nice chat about that though one day, and talked about how Heavenly Father will bless him if he pays his tithing. After that he was willing to pay and was so proud to hand his envelope over to the Bishop.

We love K so much! I cant believe how grown up he is getting! Here is a glimpse of the shoes he picked out on Amazon today... (They wouldn't have been my first choice, but hey... whatever floats his boat!)

1 comment:

The Bond Clan said...

Shoot, I am sad you already paid for them. I have some I am not using. My feet are probably still big for him. Let me know when he grows out of these! If you are interested I will look at the size. They are from the boy section but I am size 6 girls.
Let me know.