Sunday, January 27, 2013

Bed-rest chronicles #1

Well, it hasn't been a full week but I figure Sundays will be a good day for blogging since the house will be quiet. This might be a bit rambling so skip it if you want...

I think we are in what would be termed the honeymoon phase, if there were such a thing. It's new. The kids want to help and I'm not super tired of sitting around yet.

On Friday I called my aunt to fill her in on what was going on. When I called, my cousin was there and they+grandma were getting ready to prepare some freezer meals for us and had plans to bring theme up the next day. They live almost 3 hours away. I felt close to tears. I think of all the times I have thought "if only I lived closer and could help" when a friend or family member was in need. But instead of thinking of the limitations, they thought of the possibilities and didn't wait to be asked. I need to be more like them.

My number one concern through all this has been feeding my family. James is more than willing to help and I am allowed to be up for small amounts of time. But getting a good meal into my family is important to me and I dreaded the sacrifice of this. I also don't expect or want to put a strain on my ward family when we are looking at 6 or 7 weeks of this. But with what we now have, what I can coach James through preparing, and throw in some frozen lasagnas... I feel like we will be ok.

That said... This ain't all its cracked up to be. I've had people tell me, "this sis so nice! You get to relax and have other people take care of you!" But it's hard. With no contractions it feels stupid to just sit here all day. And I'm used to being able to take care of my family's needs myself and not have to ask for help. The meds seem to be working for the most part... But I get headaches and they make me so tired. But they are working! Which is the most important... So I try to forget about the rest.

I'm trying to come up with a list of things to make this all easier on my kids. I'm ordering some books that A and I can start reading during quiet time. We are working on some preschool type stuff. I think I will have to learn to like playing super smash bros... And we might have to relax the no Legos in the living room rule so I can build with K.

One bonus is that I have no reason not to dig into the scriptures more now. And... Speaking of the gospel, this morning was a little rough. I had the kids get ready for church and did As hair and sent them out the door with a friend to church. After they left I thought, I'm not going to be able to attend church for quite some time... And it sunk in. That will be one of the worst parts of this. I will miss partaking of the spirit on a regular basis. Watching my sweet young women at church learning and growing. Partaking of the sacrament.

But enough pity party. This is important work, even if it feels like laziness... I'm enabling my body to grow a healthy person. C is the most active of my babies and I am grateful for that now because it reassures me constantly that she is ok. Our family already loves her so much and I am proud of my children for the sacrifices they are willing to make for this sister they have yet to meet. They hug my belly multiple times a day, talking to her and telling her they love her. How blessed we all are! (Despite our trials.)

3 comments:

Jamie said...

I don't comment much on here, but I love reading your posts and see how your family is doing. I just thought about the fact that you mentioned you wouldn't get to take the sacrament. When I was pregnant and super sick and couldn't make it to church, I thought of the same thing. But my wonderful father reminded me that the sacrament can be brought to me, if I just request that service be done. When someone is not at church for health reasons but would otherwise attend, the sacrament can be brought to you. It made all the difference in the world to me. So you might wand to consider it. :) I hope the next few weeks go quickly for you and your burdens are made light. I will definitely keep you in my prayers.

Mer said...

Bedrest blows -- been there, for oh-so-many months. It is worth it, but it blows.

Call your bishop NOW and ask to have the priests bring you the sacrament. Every week for 6 months they brought me the sacrament while I was on bedrest. He may just authorize James to bless it for you himself. Being home on bedrest is no reason to miss out on that!!

Kaycee said...

It's hard to be restricted. I remember after having back surgery how frustrated I was. At the same time, you get a baby at the end of it - so that's a good thing to look forward to. :)

You should ask the Bishop for someone to bring you the sacrament each week. My brother goes every Sunday to a woman that can't come to church.